Outside in W.A.

Welcome to our travel-log. Here we keep a record of each of our trips into the great outdoors of Washington state. As the seasons turn from the long and sunny days of summer, through the golden afternoons of autumn to the grey and dark of winter, the sun will burn and the gentle rains of winter and spring will turn to America's deepest snow in the mountains above. Outside in W.A. will record it all.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Torrential down pours and obeying instincts

Got up Sunday early. Felt great. Kids were asleep. Forecast was for showers but it was clear outside. Thought to myself - perfect opportunity to hit the Tiger trail and be back for lunch. As I gathered my gear, the house looked mighty comfortable and I craved to sprawl on the couch and scratch my boxers. No. I must get out there and feel the rush, the wind in my face, the adrenalin coarsing through my veins. Somthing deep inside told me not to go. Stopped for a coffee along the way. It was cold. Every light between my house and the freeway was red. It just didn't feel right. I sauntered on eventually reaching the trail head. It was colder. I had a cool-max t-shirt on and went ahead anyway, excited to be outside and on the trail with nobody else arounf knowing my body will soon warm up on the 1500 ft vertical trail. The first ten minutes were sluggish as usual but then things didn't improve like they normally do. The bike felt heavy, The tires were sticking to the dirt. My heart was pounding in my ears. I was knackered! And then the rain started. It got heavier and became torrential within seconds. I was out in the open eventually finding shelter under a tree. I was soaked through to the skin. I stood there like a wet cat, arms folded hoping the rain would pass before my body cooled down. Ten minutes later I continued as the rain eased off slightly, reaching the top of the trail 20 minutes later. Here the trail cuts in and sweeps and windes through thick forest. After a snack and a rest I hopped on the bike and went just a few yards. My seat wasn't right. Re-adjusted the seat and went a few yards more, The ground was wet. Tree limbs and roots were slippy like ice. The single track trail was thin and had many drop offs. If I came off and hurt myself I would be completely on my own miles into a forest with nobody around. After all who would be stupid enough to hit the trail in conditions like this? I turned back and peddled back down the dirt road as fast as I could go. It was amazing. Mud and dirt sprayed everywhere. The rush was intense. I hopped over pot-holes and rocks, breaking within seconds of bends in the road. My bike felt like a super charged state of the art machine. It was amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home